• Great British Bake Off spurs 183% increase in claims for cooking related fires in UK homes
• Accidental damage claims in the kitchen also rise by 12% during the period
• Average claim is over £8,000 for cooking blazes and £900 for accidental damages
Claims for cooking related fires increase 183% during the three months that Great British Bake Off (GBBO) airs, according to new research from home insurance experts Zurich UK.
Chip pan fires, malfunctioning toasters, wooden spoons catching fire on the hob and even people falling asleep with something on the stove were all reasons why budding bakers claimed on their home insurance.
According to Zurich UK’s analysis of 2017 claims data it’s not just cake sponges that are on the rise. The number of accidental damage claims in the kitchen also increase by 12% when GBBO is on TV.
The average cost of a claim is over £8,000 for burnt baking attempts and more than £900 for kitchen accidents.
Phil Ost, Zurich home insurance expert said: “Inspired by the Great British Bake Off people across the country are donning their aprons and perfecting their showstoppers. However, our claims data shows a spike in home insurance claims when GBBO is on our screens. The kitchen can be a recipe for disaster and while this should not dishearten any amateur bakers, it’s vital to ensure that you have the right cover in place, including insurance for any kitchen accidents.”
Top tips to stay safe in the kitchen
1. Never leave your cooking unattended and ensure someone always has an eye on your rising bakes
2. Check that the hob and cooker are fully turned off after use and avoid burnt buns
3. Keep tea towels and cloths a safe distance away from the cooker
4. Clean off fat and grease from the hob – which can spark a fire
5. If a pan catches fire:
• Don’t try and tackle the blaze yourself or move the pan
• Turn off the heat if you can do so safely
• Never throw water on the fire – this can make it bigger
• If you have a safety fire blanket use this to keep the fire under control
• Get everyone out of the room, shut the door and call 999